The best cocoa rolls recipe is up today.
Cocoa rolls are my old time favorite sweet. I know we just had Easter and you all might have eaten way too many sweets and candy, but this fantastic cocoa roll is not your typical sweet dessert. I rather call it to a nice snack with a glass of milk. Well, one thing I said this year that we are going to switch to organic and whole wheat cooking. Oh yeah. I already used whole wheat flour for a lot of recipes but this year I am going to try ONLY to use whole wheat flour for cooking and baking. One of the main differences between white and whole wheat flour is the fiber intake. Whole wheat flour has a lot more fiber and lets just face it; that is a lot healthier. So these cocoa rolls were made with whole wheat flour. Whenever my mom and my mother in law comes to visit that is the #1 recipe on the list.
I just made this recipe the other day. I put this together in 10 minutes. The only thing is that you need to wait for the dough to rise and that is maybe about 30-40 minutes. I like to double rise it, so that is another 25 minutes, but the dough will be lot lighter then, and your rolls will be much yummier.
- 4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar ( you can add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1-2 tbs oil
- 3 pkg of dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- For filling:
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder ( I use dark cocoa)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Heat milk to lukewarm and add 1 tbsp sugar. Pour 3 pkg dry yeast. Set aside and let the yeast rise for 5 minutes.
- Mix flour and the remaining sugar and add butter.
- Add yeast and milk mix gradually to the flour mix until you can form a dough.
- Set aside and let the dough rise for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, work the dough again and leave it for another 30 minutes to rise.(to get the best result)
- On floured surface, roll out the dough into a square form. Spread the oil on the dough and sprinkle the cocoa and sugar onto it. Roll up the dough and cut about an inch thick slices.
- Place the rolls on baking sheet and bake it for about 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the rolls cool off and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
Oh yum! These cocoa rolls are just phenomenal with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk. Your family will LOVE these!
If you are looking for other great, healthy recipes, check out this amazing
or for decor inspiration, be sure to check out my
Follow me on INSTAGRAM for a daily dose of inspiration!