Mini Apple Pies recipe is here today!
Sunday was a fabulous day. From the moment we opened our eyes it was just the perfect day.
We slept in and snuggled in bed with the boys until late morning, then we ate good breakfast, went for a bike ride, made a good ol’ Hungarian lunch and then baked these Mini Apple Pies. Then we ate them all with a hot cup of coffee latte! Wow – that was a whole lotta fun fit in one day.:-) We love family days, it’s so important, so we always make sure that even though we have hectic schedules, project after projects, we always stop in our craziness and enjoy our family time. A few weeks ago we went apple picking to an apple orchard where we try to go to every year in the fall. It’s a family tradition to go to this fun place.
So back to these fun little cute mini apple pies. They are SOOO easy to make, I mean YOU CAN MAKE them. It’s not one of those Pinterest failures haha.
I have been using the same pie recipe for a few years now. Sometimes I make the pie whole grain flour, sometimes I use regular, organic flour but the basic ingredients are always the same. This time I didn’t just want to make a pie, but I chose to make them in a muffin pan, and I made them look sexy.:-) As I was rolling out the dough, I went with my creative spirit and made a few different looking pies. Some of them had leaves, some had braided dough rolled on, some had a simple round top and so on.
The creative part is up to you my friend. Whatever comes to mind will work.
Let’s bake these cute Mini Apple Pies!
- Pie Crust:
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk for the top
- Filling :
- 5 or 6 large cooking apples
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice (to toss with the sliced apples, so they don't brown as you slice them)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the salted Caramel:
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven 375F.
- Whisk together 2½ cups of flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Add the cubed butter and use your clean, dry hands to toss to coat with the flour. Work the butter into the flour with your hand. Make a well in the center and add the sour cream to it. Work the buttered flour and the sour cream into each other until the dough begins to clump.
- Peel, core and shred the apples.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and shredded apples in a bowl.
- Haf the dough and roll the dough out. Cut medium size round shapes that will fit into your muffin pan.
- Spoon shredded apples in the middle. Roll out the other half of the dough and get creative with it.
- I braided some, I cut stripes and twisted some, I cut leaves and so on.
- Brush your mini pies with egg yolk.
- Bake it until pie crust is nice, golden brown.
- Salted Caramel:
- Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice over medium heat. Cook until the mixture bubbles and turns a golden color, about 10-12 minutes. Stir the sugar with a wooden spoon during the first 2 to 3 minutes of cooking; do not stir after this point, instead of swirling the pan to ensure even cooking. Watch the caramel very carefully, and as it will go from amber colored to burned in a few seconds.Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add the cream very carefully as the mixture will bubble. Stir until the sauce is smooth.Stir in the salt and let cool until just warm.
I bake them for about 25-30 minutes until they were beautifully golden brown.
I like to serve them with caramel, but it’s just an option.
Oh my goodness! These were fantastic, and I think they will be a must on Thanksgiving dinner table!
I hope you enjoy!
If you love apples, try these other yummy bakes!