HOW TO MAKE A DOLL CAKE
My neighbor’s daughter had her 5th birthday, and I offered to make a doll cake for her.
I enjoyed making this cake as I knew that I will always be making firetruck and dinosaur cakes for my boys.:-)
Check out my cute DINOSAUR PART PRINTABLES and cakes too.
It is not as hard as it looks like to make this cake. Seriously. As you see it is not the most “perfect” cake but perfectly perfect to enjoy it for a few minutes and eat it right after she blew off the candles.
Are you ready to make it?
All you need for this cake is:
-3 boxes of cake mix and all ingredients for these cake mix(unless you prefer to make the cake from scratch)
-3 different size cake pans ( if you don’t have 3 different size cake pans, you can make 3 same sizes round cake and cut the edges off to create the skirt shape, once they are on the top of each other)
-1 doll ( whomever she favors)
–Buttercream Frosting(see recipe below)
Bake all tree cakes as directed and let them cool down.
While you are cooling the cakes, prepare the buttercream frosting.
A few years ago I found this great Buttercream recipe, and I use it ever since.
- 1 cup unsalted butter(2 sticks or ½ pound), softened
- 3-4 cups confectioners sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Up to 4 tbsp milk or heavy cream
- Beat the butter for a few minutes with mixer.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer to the lowest speed until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter.
- Add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tbsp milk and beat for about 3 minutes with high speed.
- If you need to adjust on consistency add sugar or milk
Cover the cakes with buttercream and stack them on each other.
After they stick together well, cut the edges off to make skirt shape.
Cut out the middle of your cake “tower,” so you can beautiful the doll in the middle.
Tip: If you are using a doll with long dress cover the bottom of the doll with plastic wrap to protect the dress from getting dirty.
Cover the whole cake with the buttercream, which will make the fondant stick to the cake well.
Now that we got this pretty girl in her skirt let’s make her pretty!
Fondant is not easy to work with; I tell you that. My first fondant ended up in the trash… I used a recipe that didn’t work for me at all…I could not roll the fondant.:-(
After all, I called my friend who makes cakes for orders, and she gave me a FANTASTIC FONDANT recipe that she has been using for a long time
- 15 oz. mini marshmallows 2 T water 1/2 tsp salt 2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled) 2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability) 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp lemon extract 2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner’s sugar, sifted 1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening
- Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also, grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into the bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40-second intervals. The mixture should be soupy.
- Take out of the microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt, and extracts. Stir well. Sift confectioner’s sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn the mixture out of the bowl onto counter. Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands, and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Shape into a mound and put a coating of Crisco on the outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.
Once you roll your fondant out , take the doll out from the center and cover your cake with fondant. Measure the height of your “tower” cake and make sure you roll the fondant wide enough.
Cut the middle of the fondant and stick the doll back to the center. Make a little “belt’ for your skirt from a different color fondant to cover the edges of the center – it will give your cake a nice finished look.
DOLL CAKE IS Made!!
Since then I made one for my little niece as well. Hmm…it looks like I use every opportunity to make a doll cake:-)
Did you like these lovely cakes?
Pin this image for later to remember!
Hope you will enjoy making your beautiful cake!
If you got a little boy around, be sure to check out my
FREE DINOSAURS PARTY PRINTABLES
Have a fantastic day!