It’s time to share the best strawberry pie recipe today.
I hope you all had a wonderful Father’s day weekend. Aren’t those dads amazing? We had 2 fun but lazy days at the pool and it felt so amazing to just nothing over the weekend. I feel like we are always digging deep into work, projects and sometimes it’s so awesome to free our mind and not to worry about anything. And summer is especially a great season for these lazy weekends. Last week my friends traveled back home to Hungary and we threw a spontaneous dinner party at her house ( she happens to be next door neighbor) and I made this pretty strawberry pie while she was making Gnocchi for dinner. Don’t you love those spontaneous dinner nights? We do! So I whipped up this pretty pie in no time. I use the same recipe for the pie base that I used for my Apple Pie. I basically fill the same pie dough with whatever seasonal fruits I have available. We love pies around here. A lot. We attempted to grow strawberries in our yard but with not much luck. Squirrels ate all of the red strawberries off so I just used store bought ones this time. And to make this pie more appealing, I decided to cut out cute little floral shapes with my cookie cutter to cover the top of the pie. Yup. I jumped on the ‘pretty pie wagon’ that’s all around on the net these days:-)
It did not take much time to roll and cut out these fun little circle shapes to cover my pie and it looked quite fancy, especially after the dough was nice golden brown.
Grab the best STRAWBERRY PIE recipe
- Pie Crust:
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- Egg yolk and cream to brush the pie
- For strawberry filling:
- 3 cups strawberries
- 2 tbs sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven 375F.
- Whisk together 2½ cups of flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Add the cubed butter and use your clean dry hands to toss to coat with the flour. Work the butter into the flour with your hand. Make a well in the center and add the sour cream to it. Work the buttered flour and the sour cream into each other until the dough begins to clump. Separate the dough mixture into 2 equal sized piles and work each one first into a ball, and then into a disk. Sprinkle with flour and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out.
- While the dough is sitting in the refrigerator peel, cut up 2 cups strawberries and sprinkle with sugar.
- Remove one crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Roll a round shape of the dough.
- Place the rolled dough on a pie pan and add strawberries in he middle.
- Roll our the other dough and cut out small shapes ( any shape that you have available) and cover the pie.
- Mix the egg yolk and cream together and brush the pie with it.
- Bake it until pie crust is nice, golden brown.
What a yummy and pretty pie. It’s the perfect party pleaser!
Will you give it a try?
You might also like this delicious Apple Pie.
Or this Mini Raspberry Cheescake