Today I am sharing a yummy strawberry pie recipe.
It is not a 15 minute recipe day today. We will be traveling on Valentines day so we had a little spontaneous celebration this weekend with this Ah-mazing Strawberry pie. I had 2 big boxes of strawberries at home and I decided to make a delish dessert for after lunch on Saturday to celebrate Valentines day today..;-)
And let me tell you…3/4th of this pie was gone in no time. The boys just couldn’t stop eating it. I made it with whole wheat flour so daddy could eat it with his super diet too:-) I actually shared this pie recipe in the fall when I made it with apples. I used the same pie recipe just switched out the apples for strawberries and I made it a little Valentine fancy with the heart cutouts for the top of the pie♥
- Pie Crust:
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- Egg yolk and cream to brush the pie
- For strawberry filling:
- 3 cups strawberries
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven 375F.
- Whisk together 2½ cups of flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Add the cubed butter and use your clean dry hands to toss to coat with the flour. Work the butter into the flour with your hand. Make a well in the center and add the sour cream to it. Work the buttered flour and the sour cream into each other until the dough begins to clump. Separate the dough mixture into 2 equal sized piles and work each one first into a ball, and then into a disk. Sprinkle with flour and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out.
- While the dough is sitting in the refrigerator peel cook 2 cups strawberries for about 5 minutes with.
- Remove one crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Roll a round shape of the dough.
- Place the rolled dough on a pie pan and add strawberries in he middle.. Fold the edges on the strawberries and press it down with your fingers.
- Roll our the other dough and cut out small heart shapes.
- Add the remain fresh strawberries on the top of your pie and put your heart cutouts on to cover the pie.
- Mix the egg yolk and cream together and brush the pie with it.
- Bake it until pie crust is nice, golden brown.
This pie recipe is my absolute favorite. It is great with apples, strawberries and I bet with any other fruits as well!
For making my pie prettier, I dusted the pie with a thin layer powdered sugar.
I am sure it won’t disappoint you either! Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
You can skip making the heart shapes for the top ( although I think it is pretty sweet:-) and you can justmake stripes out of your dough to cover the pie.
You may like these easy 5 minute RED VELVET cake pots too
Have a fantastic week. If you are getting your Valentines ready for your kiddos, don’t miss to check out some awesome
Have a happy week!