UPHOLSTERED HEADBOARD-IKEA MALM HACK

Headboard It’s time to  share my newest piece in our bedroom.

Last year we’ve  decided to have a master bedroom makeover . The current design that we are changing is about 6 years old. I have changed the duvet covers few times, but did not make any major changes.

Now we are ready for a completely new look!

This is our “before” picture.

HEADBOARD makover-2-2

We really loved black brown and orange mix in our bedroom, but you know ..when you see the same design for so long you kinda get bored with it.

WE WANTED SOMETHING

different

fresh

not definitely new, but new to our eyes

…Maybe some mix and match in styles…

elegant -modern – eclectic

Sometimes around July last year, I set down and started planning.I don’t do that many times.

{Pssst… I am usually very unorganized with my projects…}

Most of the time, when I start working on a project or a room design ,I get inspired by a piece of fabric.

This yellow ,flowery  duvet cover was my very first inspiration for our new bedroom. I spotted this pretty cover at Ikea. They were out of stock few times when I visited the store,but finally I was able to put my hands on one, just recently. I really love the flowery and the yellow – white mix.

akertistel-duvet-cover-and-pillowcases__0183919_PE335010_S4 I created a MOOD BOARD, that included all my ideas for our new bedroom design.

OB-My Bedroom  Unfortunately, we never started the bedroom project last year. It was brought over to the new year.

We jumped right in, and painted our bedroom last weekend. We chose a very nice ,gray shade. Reading Laura’s post HERE,of how to choose the right gray, made me decide to go with the REVERE PEWTER .

Just simply beautiful on the wall. I would absolutely recommend this color if you are not sure which gray to go with!

…OKAY…

..Now to the headboard project….

I will show you a step by step tutorial, how we made this beautiful upholstered, tufted headboard out of

IKEA MALM

Bed

When we purchased our MALM bed set about 6 years ago, we bought a 3 piece shelving unit as well.  The shelving unit was placed behind our bed.{ See picture below.} It was a perfect addition to our bed set, as it was holding decor items in the bedroom.

HEADBOARD makover

I had the idea to take this shelving unit apart, and attach the bigger piece of the shelving unit to the back of the bed, to make the headboard higher. If you don’t have this particular shelving unit, you can simply use a piece of plywood instead. Visit Alicia’s blog HERE to see how she used a plywood for her upholstered headboard.

I just thought it would be a perfect piece, because it had the same measurements as the bed lengthwise and thick-wise.

Headboard@placeofmytaste.com-3

Look at this dramatic change

Before and Aftger

Are you ready to start your makeover?

THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS BEAUTIFUL TUFTED HEADBOARD :

-  IKEA Shelving unit { this is what I used } or Plywood

- 2 x 4 wood, 2 longer pieces, about 4′ tall

- Drill and screws

- Staple gun, staples

-Batting, thick { 2″ }

- Fabric to cover your headboard { per your taste }

- buttons, hot glue gun

upholstered headbboard @placofmytaste

First of all, we took apart our shelving unit.

Headboard@placeofmytaste.com-2

Using the drill, we screwed the 2 x 4 wood pieces onto the back of the bed.

Headboard@placeofmytaste.com-10

We put one piece of long wood on each side of the bed.

Ewwh – It doesn’t look very pretty, but this is the back of the bed and it won’t be visible.

Headboard@placeofmytaste.com-12

Then we lifted the bigger piece and attached it together with 6-8 screws on each side.

This is how it looked after the two pieces were screwed together.

Nice and tall.

Headboard@placeofmytaste.com-13

We wrapped the batting around the headboard, and stapled it to the back of the huge piece. If you would like to have nice and thick tufted headboard, double the batting. Make sure you pull the batting out completely straight on each side.

Once this step is done, you can add your fabric.

I chose white for my project. I am not sure what is with me and white  lately, but lots of times I am leaning towards white when it comes to color choices…Hmmm..

{ If I could just turn the clock back to a couple of years before, I would definitely choose white kitchen over medium brown.:-( }

The nice thing  about this headboard is that if I ever want to change the look of it, I could take off the fabric and staple a new one on.

A new color , a new print, a new fabric choice will provide a completely new look again.

I wrapped the fabric over the batting , pulled the fabric out on each corner to make sure it is not wrinkled, and as a final step I stapled it to the back of the board.

upholstered headboard-ikea malm hack@placeofmytaste.com--2

We measured 9 spots for the buttons, using a tape measure, counting equal distance from each side.

Then using a staple gun , we stapled each spot { 9 } for the buttons.

upholstered headboard-ikea malm hack@placeofmytaste.com--4

We glued each button to the headboard with a hot glue gun. I was hesitant to glue with a hot glue gun, but I was hoping to see the buttons stay on. They did!

Easy-peasy!

upholstered headboard-ikea malm hack@placeofmytaste.com--3

Project was done in a few hours.

My total cost was:

$28

{ including batting, fabric, buttons– I already had the rest }

You can not beat that for a new headboard!

upholstered headboard-ikea malm hack@placeofmytaste.com-5491

I am totally in  love with our new look.

It is so different and elegant – and most of all , new to our eyes!

upholstered headboard-ikea malm hack@placeofmytaste.com-5493

upholstered headboard-ikea malm hack@placeofmytaste.com-5497

I think it turned out just beautiful.

Ikea Malm Headboard Makover @placeofmytaste.com

I will have some other fun projects coming up, so stay tuned to see our whole new bedroom makeover.

Ikea Malm Headboard Makover @placeofmytaste.com

Check out our pretty, yellow nightstands. They were spray painted to perfection.

painted ikea nightstand

And this new Herringbone Stenciled lamp was upcyled in no time

Herringbone Lamp makeover @placeofmytaste.com-

DIY Sunburst Mirror made out of paper

Sunburst mirror@placeofmytaste.com-2

So, what do you say–YAY or NAY??

Check out our entry way design that also has some fun and cheerful colors:

ENTRY WAY REVEAL

Entry Way

Thank you for reading!

Have a great day!

aniko sign

THIS PROJECT WAS CHOSEN TO participate in

BHG MAKEOVER MADNESS CHALLENGE

MakeoverMadness_Blogger_promo_PlaceOfMyTaste

click HERE to see where I party each week

Aniko
Hello! My name is Aniko and I am the the author behind Place Of My Taste. Love everything beautiful and I can not spend a day without creating. Stay tuned, there is always something in my bag! Xo
Aniko

Latest posts by Aniko (see all)

Archives

Comments

• Aniko says

Oh Cathy, I love our new headboard…I just want to stay in bed all day now- haha:-)Thanks for stopping by.Have a great night!

• Aniko says

Thanks Taryn! I have been wanting to do this forever but never found the time.It finally happened and I LOVE it.Thanks for stopping by!Xoxo~

1. Christina karosy says

Love this. Tried something similar a couple years ago for my little girl’s bed. Did you attach this to the bed or wall some how?

• Aniko says

Christina,I attached it to the bed with 2 pieces of wood. If you scroll back to the full post,pictures will show how. Good luck with it if you try it again. Thanks for stopping by!

• Aniko says

Yes, Melissa…I chose the easiest way-haha…There was a question from a reader -if the buttons would stay on or would pop off easy using the hot glue…? So far it did not come off at all – so I can say that this is a pretty nice and easy way to make anything tufted!Thanks for visiting!

• Amy says

I was thinking the same thing, I have never seen anyone just staple the fabric, what a great idea! I am all for doing things the easy way =) Love your color choices,I am in love with white, grey, yellow and sometimes blue together and you did a beautiful job with these colors!

• Aniko says

Charlotte, I thought about it and I decided to give it a shot and see if it will stay or come off easy. So far so good:-). Fingers crossed…Have a great night!

• Aniko says

Thanks Shannon, I was very happy with spending so little money and using what I already have;-)Thanks for stopping by, have a lovely weekend!

2. says

Wow! It looks SO good. I did an tufted upholstered headboard, and tufting the thing was really, really hard and hurt my fingers so much. I love that you just stapled it and glued the buttons on. That is genius! And I am kicking myself right now for the frustrations and sore fingers! (P.S. If you have a second, I would absolutely love it if you linked up at The Makers link party over on my blog. :)

• Aniko says

Alexis, thank you for hopping over and commenting. Yep, it was much easier than “real”tufting. Coming over to link up right now…Xo~

• Aniko says

I have been dreaming about this makeover for a longest time…and I am so excited that is finally happening!Thanks for stopping by!Have fun with your makeover;-)

3. says

WOW!! I Just saw this on The Pin Junkie and I LOVE it! I am going to share this on my blog FB page right now, and I am hoping you will link up at Domestic Superhero tomorrow!! WOW!!!

4. says

This is amazing Aniko! What a huge transformation for under $30! I love the simplicity of it and the tufting is absolutely perfect. When I get to my bedroom I want to try this. Thanks for the inspiration and for linking up at The Makers!

5. Lauren says

I have the Malm in my bedroom and have been dying to figure out how to make the headboard more substantial since we purchused the “low” version of the headboard. Do you recall what the piece of shelving was called that you attached to make the head board highter? If not, I’m sure I can just buy the headboard itself and attach the two in the same manner. This tutorial was awesome and BY FAR the simplest one I’ve seen! Can’t wait to do this!

• Aniko says

Lauren, I am glad you like this project. I checked online at IKEA and I couldn’t find that piece anymore. It was a 3 piece headboard-shelf set. { Bought it about 6 years ago }You can easily substitute that piece with a thick plywood.Thanks for stopping by !Have a wonderful weekend!

• Aniko says

We LOVE our Malm bed set.We have it for over 6 years now. I just needed a fresh,new look:-) Go for it!Have a great week!Xo~

6. Emily says

I love this and you’ve inspired me to try to update my 2007 malm bed rather than spend $2,000 on a new bed.
    Can you tell me if you upholstered the entire headboard (I.e. down to the floor) or just the visible bits. Did you have to dismantle the headboard from the sides of the bed?

Thanks

• Aniko says

Hello! I am glad you like this project. As you see the pictures in the post, I actually made my headboard higher by attaching another piece { see in post } to it. I only upholstered it until the mattress part and with that said I did not dismantle the headboard. It was huge money saving for us and we created a totally new look for our MALM bed. Let me know if you have any questions! Have fun with it!!Have a great day!

7. cea wall says

gorgeous and (apparently) so easy !! I am planning to put a headboard onto my headboard-less bed and this is inspiring me.

(came here via Apartment Therapy, who is featuring your good work today)

8. says

I love this ! I was looking for something to do to give a new life to our old Ikea bed, thanks for the inspiration !
    White fabric would be just great against a dark brown wall in our bedroom, but with 3 young kids, I’m not sure white is right !

• Aniko says

Elsa, thank you for stopping by today! I have two little munchkins myself and I wasn’t sure if white will be a great choice.I just LOVE white lately, and I did not regret I chose white over patterns this time. Glad you got inspired! Have a wonderful week!

9. Steph S. says

Awesome makeover!!! I wish I was that handy with a drill! I need to know where you got the super cute owl on the bedside table?

• Aniko says

Thank you so much! I love owl ans I got his cutie one at ROSS-Dress for Less.:-)Thanks for stopping by today and have an awesome day!

10. says

This is wonderful! I have the exact same bed and have been getting sick of the color and low headboard. Totally going to do this! :) how much fabric should I be looking at? Thanks. :)

• Aniko says

I am so glad you like it♥ i believe I got 2 yards of fabric…I used the fabric width for the headboard height and the 2 yards covered the headboard width -which is about 60″. Hope it helps.Have a great weekend!

11. says

Wow! There’s so much light and life in your room after the makeover! I love the bright and cheery white and yellow. It feels soooo airy and fresh, just like the daisies on your nightstand. c: -Cait (The Lush Scouts)

• Aniko says

Thank you so much, Reshma! Malm is a great series from Ikea but you can make it custom and unique by adding some to it.I know that eventually I will change that white fabric over to an absolute different design and pattern;-) Hope yo have a great night!

12. Katie says

Your bed looks amazing and is JUST what I needed for my daughter’s malm bed. We just purchased the low twin malm for her first big girl bed and I was hoping to somehow add height and upholster the headboard to make it more toddler friendly. Was very happy to find your tutorial and it seems easy enough. I read in a previous comment that you only upholstered to the mattress part. How did you make it look “clean” on the sides that are showing? Just fold under the edges of fabric and staple? Also, what kind of fabric did you use? Any special kind of staple gun, or will just a regular one work?

Ahh, so excited to try this on my daughter’s bed :-)

• Aniko says

Thanks for stopping by today, Katie! I am glad you like this project and I hope you will be able to upholster your daughter’s bed nicely. Exactly , just fold the fabric and staple. I will add additional picture, bc it’s seem like lots of readers have the same question. It was a very inexpensive ($5 ) fabric, bit thicker.Regular staple gun will just work fine.
      Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help!Have a wonderful week!Xo~

13. Kelley says

This is awesome! I have the higher version of the Malm so I won’t even have to add height to it. Question though, did you staple directly into the headboard? And if so how is it holding up? I’m a little concerned that the particle board won’t hold on to staples for too long.

• says

Kelley, I am glad you popped over here. I did staple directly to the headboard. Perfectly holding up!!Give it a shot! We are loving our “new” bed and I am sure you will too! Have a fantastic day!

14. JJ says

I am not buying that you made this headboard ! I have made several tufted headboards and you do not get that tufted look from gluing the buttons on the fabric.

• says

You are right, with JUST gluing the buttons to the fabric, makes no sense. If you read the tutorial, I did not just glued the buttons on the fabric but stapled the fabric to the wood panel first on those 9 spots where the buttons were glued. Stapling it really made the tufted look. Also, I used thick batting that also helped to get the tufted look. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. Have a wonderful day!

15. Bekah says

This just made me so happy!
    I purchased the Ikea Malm bed from my best friend when she moved away and I love it, however I still love the look of a big gigantic headboard which this bed is clearly lacking. I went searching for some sort of DIY headboard attachment hoping someone else had the same idea in mind and came across this! Its absolutely perfect! I plan to give my matching occasional table and nightstand a little upgrade as well! So much cheaper than going out and purchasing an entire new bedroom suite.

• says

The shelving unit I used was available to purchase with the MALM bed set. It was a shelving unto that was sitting behind the bed (MALM series). Hope it helps:-)

16. Jocke says

Okej! You wouldnt be able to find a link where I can see this unit that you mean? It would be really helpful :) Thanks!

Trackbacks