Chocolate cake is favorite in my family! And when it comes to Birthday parties at the house, I make sure there is always a homemade cake!
The basic cake recipe is inherited…
…from my grandma. I will never forget the measurements that she taught me when I was a little girl. I make this cake every time off the top of my head.:-) You know, it’s kind of like the ABC’s… you memorized it once, and you will never forget!
The cake recipe is a simple white cake recipe, but I added cocoa powder to the batter this time as my hubby loves chocolate cake. And yes, now you know that it was my husband’s birthday this past weekend. My guy is truly the best partner, friend and the greatest dad in the world, so he does deserve this phenomenal cake!
My boys visited Hungary for spring break, and they happened to arrive back to the US on their dad’s birthday. How fun! So I had to make sure I’d have something yummy for them upon their return and their dad, of course, to celebrate his B-day!
Chocolate cakes are always a big hit in my home. I am myself a big chocolate cake lover too (well actually I’m a sucker for just about anything chocolate!). And of course, I love to spend time in the kitchen, so it was a pure pleasure to put this gorgeous cake together on a Friday morning.
And here is my grandma’s famous chocolate cake recipe
- 12 eggs ( separated)
- 12 tbsp all purpose flour
- 12 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- A handful of Cocoa Roasted Almonds
- Chocolate Cream:
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat over to 370 F.
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks to two separate bowls.
- Measure the 12 tbsp. all-purpose flour into a bowl.Add salt, baking powder and cocoa powder ( if you are making a chocolate cake). Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites with electric mixer until your whites are firm. Set aside.
- Stir egg yolks then add 12 tbsp sugar. Keep stirring until smooth.
- Mix together egg whites and egg yolks mix slowly. Then drizzle the flour mix into your egg mixture.
- Pour batter into two prepared 9" pans and bake for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add whipped cream, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar in a bowl and whip for 5 minutes.
- Spread chocolate whip in between your cakes, add a handful of roasted almonds and cover the outside of the cake as well.
- Garnish your cake Cocoa Roasted Almonds.
This cake was almost too beautiful to eat but we trust me, there was nothing left the next day! Truly a great cake and it’s easy to make!
Will you make this chocolate cake for the next birthday?
Make sure to have a pretty cake stand on hand- because presentation is everything! Check out one of these…
[amazon_link asins=’B008GOZPES,B01F5PY5XM,B003XRNZ5O,B071WSZV6K,B00IRU6Q1C,B01N5DC5XS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’plofmyta-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ecd9850e-1582-11e8-82c1-7556ade0a0e3′]
Here are some other great cake recipes for you to try!
MMMMmmmmm! Now I’ve made myself hungry! Alright- well I hope you will test these out in your own kitchen and make something to make my Grandma proud.
Make sure to pin this for later!